Re: too many 'changed' entries

From: Mel Hatzis
Subject: Re: too many 'changed' entries
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:15:51 -0800

On 03/27/2003 06:04 AM, Dirk Schenkewitz submitted:

Dirk Schenkewitz schrieb:
Hi All,

Can someone give me a hint to get rid of this:

Every time a PR is edited (via Gnatsweb) it happens that stuff is noted as
'changed' in the Audit-Trail, although the only "change" was the formatting,
and even there the user did not change anything - all of this happens auto-
matically.

As an example, here is something I found in one audit-trail.
/
| Description-Changed-From-To: In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String
mit einem '#D ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert,
| verläuft zunächst alles gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur
überlesen werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante
| erwartet.
| ->In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String mit einem '#D
| ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert, verläuft zunächst alles
| gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur überlesen
| werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante erwartet.
\

We're using Gnatsweb v3.99.3, Gnats v4.0-beta1 (taken from the GnatsWeb
display) - is this a known bug which can be removed by updating, perhaps ?
Or did I make a configuration mistake ?
Or is it the fault of my favourite browser (Opera 7.0), running on Win-NT 4.0 ?

It can't be the browser, other people here have the same problem
and they use IE or Netscape (4.7x to 7.x) or Mozilla.

Has nobody else observed this ?
(Please, people, give me a hint, even if it is something obvious - right now i'm just out of ideas.)

I noticed this too. In my case, I setup a field as 'required' and
it wasn't working via gnatsweb, because gnatsweb was inserting a
newline (thereby making the field look like it had a value).

I fixed it by changing the 'fix_multiline_val' sub, as follows:

sub fix_multiline_val
{
 my $val = shift;
 $val =~ s/\r\n?/\n/g;
 $val .= "\n" unless $val =~ /\n$/;
 if ($val =~ /^\s*$/)
 {
   # don't allow whitespace values to circumvent 'required' fields
   $val = "";
 }
 $val;
}

This basically prevents whitespace only values from being entered
as the (multiline) field value which I consider to be a good fix.

This should help you in the case where a newly created PR is edited
for the first time - since this is when gnatsweb will add the
newline, thereby changing the field and adding a change log to the
audit trail.

Hope this helps.

--
Mel Hatzis

Can/should I ask somewhere else ? But then, where (or whom) ?

Slowly getting desperate...
        dirk