RE: gnats/303: GNATS 4.0 Makefile Error

From: Dirk Bergstrom
Subject: RE: gnats/303: GNATS 4.0 Makefile Error
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:15:38 -0800

> Would anyone complain if we solved the problem by documenting
> that Bison
> and Flex are needed for complete GNATS rebuilding?  Trying to support
> all the proprietary versions of yacc and lex seems to be a useless
> effort to me.  I think it's not necessary, since the tarball will
> contain the generated *.c files, with a proper time stamp.  People
> interested in development can install Bison and Flex easily.

i'm not quite sure what the impact of this would be.  if people could
still download, compile and install the source tarball without needing
bison & flex, then i would have no objections.  if it means that bison &
flex are required for *all* source builds, it would be a hindrance to
the casual consumer, and would make the package less valuable, imho.

put another way, if this impacts folks that pull the tree from cvs, but
*not* folks who download the source tarball, that's fine with me.

i don't want to see gnats become one of those annoying packages that
requires the user to download all sorts of packages just to see if it's
worth using (like gnucash).  it ought to build on OS's like solaris
without a pitched battle.

--
Dirk Bergstrom               address@hidden
Juniper Networks Inc.,          Computer Geek