Re: GNATS installation question

From: Hans-Albert Schneider
Subject: Re: GNATS installation question
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:32:59 +0200 (MET DST)

    HG> Although, i cannot spawn the deamon because "520 You are
    HG> not on the host access list: stdin (stdin)."

Do you try to start it manually, from the command line?  It is
intended to be started by inetd (or xinetd, or a similar program).
You should need root privileges to edit its configuration file,
and also for step 5) below.

I am assuming inetd for the following.  My /etc/inetd.conf
contains a line like this:

#
# GNATS Problem Report System
#
support    stream  tcp     nowait  gnats        /usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd
gnatsd

Make sure that:

1) The 1st field ("support" above) contains a known service; that
   is, /etc/services contains a line for it.  It could also be
   the corresponding NIS map, or some LDAP entry, or whatever
   your system uses instead.  Your system administrator should know.

2) The 5th field ("gnats") is the username of your GNATS user.

3) The 6th field ("/usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd") is the full
   pathname of the gnatsd program.  You do not need to use
   TCP-wrapper or something like this, as gnatsd does something
   similar through gnats.conf.

4) Check the man page for inetd.conf and reorder the fields, if
   needed.

5) Tell the running inetd to reread its configuration file, by
   sending it a "kill -HUP".

Hope this helps,

     Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider           <address@hidden>
Siemens AG                      phone:  (+49) 89 636 45445