Re: [Help-glpk] Newbie scheduling problem question, contiguous time inte

From: Jeffrey Kantor
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Newbie scheduling problem question, contiguous time interval constraints
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 21:09:22 -0400

Hi Roland,

Before going into some thoughts regarding the modeling aspects, could you tell us about the scale of your problem?  For example, if there are, say, 20 classes, 10 student groups, 26 periods, and 5 days, then you have 20*10*26*5 = 26,000 binary variables in your assignment formulation. That's a pretty large number.

Moreover, there may be quite a  bit of symmetry in your solution space which would need to be addressed for a problem of this scale. Can you clarify what you mean by solving the problem? For example, is any feasible solution good enough?  Or is there some specific criterion you trying to optimize?

As a suggestion, developing solutions to problems like this can be pretty challenging.  So it might make sense to look at some simplified cases and special cases, and perhaps test some problem specific heuristics.

Jeff