[Help-glpk] Newbie scheduling problem question, contiguous time interval

From: Roland Roberts
Subject: [Help-glpk] Newbie scheduling problem question, contiguous time interval constraints
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:32:01 -0400

I'm a newbie to MILP and am stuck on specifying what I think should be a pretty common problem. I'm trying to solve a student class scheduling problem for a middle school. I can formulate parts of the problem, but am drawing a blank on connecting everything. I'm willing to pick up both manuals and texts if someone can point me to ones that should be helpful.

The basic problem is that I classes c, student groups g, time periods p, and days d. We're breaking each day into 15-minute "modules" which have to be schedule. A class has to span 3-8 modules on any give day. Some classes have a minimum number of modules per week that have to be completed. With just the above, I can specify the constraints by thinking of this as a 4-dimensional array X[c,g,p,d] and the constraints are various sums. The problem I run into is specifying the the continuity constraint on scheduling. It's not sufficient to have 3 modules for class C1, they have to be 3 contiguous modules.

How do I specify this sort of thing?

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD