[Help-glpk] Re: BIRT (Eclipse IDE based - SQL, OLAP and Graphics) + Math

From: Noli Sicad
Subject: [Help-glpk] Re: BIRT (Eclipse IDE based - SQL, OLAP and Graphics) + Mathprog plugin
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:54:51 +1000

Hi,

I am managed to get the BIRT report design in Windows - Open
Perspective - Report Design.

This might be good tool for Mathprog reporting tools - similar to ILOG
OPL ODM.

Anyway,  here is the description of BIRT:

>From this site:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2513534/birt-vs-jasper-reports

(below)

Noli

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" BIRT is the only reporting tool that is part of the Eclipse
foundation. That alone is enough for me. The IDE is easy-to-use and
you can design reports using a really intuative WYSIWYG designer. When
things get more complex, you have the APIs and scripting hooks to
handle it. After you design the report itself, you have a ton of
deployment flexbility. Browsers all the way to a native iPhone client.

My short list of reasons I would go with BIRT:

   1. Data agnostic designer: JDBC, Native Drivers, Web Services, POJOs
   2. Eclipse-based: The community in and around BIRT & Eclipse is thriving.
   3. Drag-andDrop report creation: No programming is required to create content
   4. Versatility: You can create all kinds of content with BIRT, not
just traditonal BI. Have a look at the BIRT Exchange DevShare to get a
feel for how much cool stuff is out there.
   5. Easy to deploy: Eihter embedded in an application or stand-alone
   6. Once executed and built, BIRT Report Documents are stand-alone
entities. This really increases deployment options since you no longer
need access to source data and resources for the users to view the
report. Gets around firewall issues, security problems, etc... Really
flexible execution.

Good luck no matter which way you go!

P.S. I did leave off one huge feature, and that is Page Level
Security. If you want to develop one large report for a differentiated
audience, you can do that in BIRT and rely on the tool to distribute
the proper pages to the appropriate users. This can be a HUGE savings
in resources (i.e. not generating 100 separate reports, but rather
generating one report and slicing it up as many times as you need) "