[Help-glpk] reporting bugs / problems with GLPK 4.8

From: Björn
Subject: [Help-glpk] reporting bugs / problems with GLPK 4.8
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:00:39 +0200

Hi, everybody!

I am using GLPK 4.8 with MSVC++ 6.0 (WinXP). In this mail I would like to report some bugs I encountered. If somebody knows how to circumvent those problems, thanks a lot for letting me know.

1) Screen messages cannot be switched off

According to the GLPK 4.8 reference manual (p. 54), setting the parameter LPX_K_MSGLEV to 0 entails that solver routines generate no output. After setting this parameter to 0, I made the following experiences:

a)
- The LP solver lpx_simplex(lp) functions correctly (does not display anything). - The MIP solver lpx_integer(lp) prints the final result, but no prior iterations. - The Interior Point solver lpx_interior(lp) gives exactly the same output as when LPX_K_MSGLEV is set to 3 (full output).

b) I wrote the following code which reads data from a CPLEX LP file and should not display anything on the screen.

lp = lpx_create_prob();
lpx_set_int_parm(lp, LPX_K_MSGLEV, 0); // ought to switch out messages
lp = lpx_read_cpxlp("plan.lp");

Unfortunately, the third line sets LPX_K_MSGLEV back to 3 (full output) and prints some information on the screen. It thus overrides the second line. The first line is necessary because the program crashes when using the second line without the first line.

Does anybody know how to fix LPX_K_MSGLEV to 0? Is there another way to temporarily suppress output in C++?

2) Bug in the function lpx_write_cpxlp(lp, "results")

I read data from a CPLEX file with "Integer bin2 bin3 bin4 bin5" and other continuous variables (also understood by the C++ program and subsequent solution routines). Writing a CPLEX file from that same data of the lp structure results in "Generals bin2 bin3 bin4 bin5" (+ other variables continuous by default) which represents continuous variables and not integer ones. Moreover, continuous variables should be called "General" and not "Generals" according to the GLPK 4.8 reference manual.

I hope this can help, and thanks for any comments.

Best regards,
Bjoern

___________________________________________________________ Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de