Re: [help-GIFT] problem with starting gift-server

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] problem with starting gift-server
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:25:56 +0100

On Friday 15 March 2002 15:14, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi there.
Hi,
> I don't knot if it is a problem or that i don't understand.....

...so you're at the right place to ask.

> i installed the newest gift version.

0.1.8?

> is normal that when i start the gift server with the command "gift
> 12790 /root/gift" the server started, the last line is Waiting for
> connection, but they don't exit to the shell?

Yes, currently the GIFT is not a daemon.

> The config directory is /root/shell

/root/gift or /root/shell? If it's /root/shell, you should rather do:

gift 12790 /root/shell

And something else. *Please* don't run GIFT as root, if you can avoid it!
This is a suggestion that applies to about every server. It applies unless
you run it local while you're off the wire.

> another problem is the client.
> i try to install charmer 0.2b. all seems to be ok, but when i try to load

Stupid question: what does "all" mean?

> the applet, it seems to be loaded, but don't start. It gives the error on
> the status line load: class charmer.client.charmer not found
>
> I have apache installed. the charmer is on the global
> directory /var/www/photogallery.

OK. Have you looked into the Charmer.html directory? How do you start charmer?

> Can anyone help.

I hope so.

> And sorry for my really bad english.
You know, the thing is, as I am german, your german accent has to be much
much worse before I realize, so that's no problem for me ;-)

Thanks for trying, and I hope you find the right solution. Don't hesitate to
write another mail here.