[help-GIFT] problem with the applet

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: [help-GIFT] problem with the applet
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 00:30:12 +0100 (CET)

>>>>> "mk" == martin krung <address@hidden> writes:

mk> hi
mk> first
mk> thanks for you software and that is under gnu.

Thanks for your thanks.
Currently this mailing list is a very lonely place, and I even had to
read twice to see that it's actually about the GIFT and not the GIMP.

mk> i installed the GIFT today under suse linux 7.

Just for my interest: which machine?
If it's a mac, someone already mailed us horror stories about what
happens under the JVM of netscape on macs.

mk> i was even able  to do the indexing of a few images.
mk> i also could start the gift server.

This is good news.

mk> because i dont have a java virtual engine on linux.

Hmm. Is this a political problem or rather a
not-yet-installed-problem?

mk> i tried to call the charmer applet trought my webbrowser (apache),

Netscape rather, huh? Apache is a server.

mk> but i
mk> dident work.

Hmm. It would be great, if you could choose in netscape "tools" that you
want to see the JAVA console. It would be very helpful to send us
(i.e. the mailing list) a cut-and-paste of what you get as errors on
the JAVA console.

mk> i am workin with the version gift-0.1.5pre and the charmer-0.2b.

mk> i stareted the write-applet-frame which creats the Charmer.html in the
mk> charmer-0.2.b folder. in Charmer.html is written

mk> code="charmar/client/Charmar"

mk> it diden't work with my mac and also with the pc the applet failed with the
mk> comment:

mk> i couldnt load the class charmer.client.Charmer

mk> so i looked at your online demo at http://viper.unige.ch/demo.html. this
mk> file contains

mk> code="charmer.client.Charmer.java"

(snipped part about painful tries).

What's interesting here is rather the codebase.

mk> i also gave alle the files in the charmer-0.2.b folder the golden chmod 777.

:-)

mk> finaly i downloaded your whole http://viper.unige.ch/Charmer-0.2.b folder,
mk> because i thought i dont have the newest charmer version. i dident work.
mk> (listing is alloud in your webserver)

No, this stuff is really the latest and greatest, which is to say that
Zoran "Snakecharmer" Pecenovic is pretty taken at the moment.

Well, do you CD into the directory in which charmer resides? This
could have an influence. Otherwise:

move the charmer-0.2b folder into your public html, and adjust the
codebase to be in
http://localhost/~your-user-name/charmer-0.2b
and then try to goto

http://localhost/~your-user-name/charmer-0.2b/Charmer.html

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Wolfgang M&uuml;ller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant
Personal page: http://cui.unige.ch/~vision/members/WolfgangMueller.html
Maintainer, GNU Image Finding Tool (http://www.gnu.org/software/gift)