Re: [help-GIFT] problem with the applet

From: martin krung
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] problem with the applet
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 23:09:52 +0200

Wolfgang Mueller

> mk> hi
> mk> first
> mk> thanks for you software and that is under gnu.
>
> Thanks for your thanks.
> Currently this mailing list is a very lonely place, and I even had to
> read twice to see that it's actually about the GIFT and not the GIMP.

i saw that in your archive.
> mk> i installed the GIFT today under suse linux 7.
>
> Just for my interest: which machine?
> If it's a mac, someone already mailed us horror stories about what
> happens under the JVM of netscape on macs.

no,its a laptop with a intel chip.
> mk> i was even able  to do the indexing of a few images.
> mk> i also could start the gift server.
>
> This is good news.
>
> mk> because i dont have a java virtual engine on linux.
>
> Hmm. Is this a political problem or rather a
> not-yet-installed-problem?

no political problem, but a not yet installed.
i am waiting for the suse linux 7.1 with the new kernel and  KDE2, so i
will make a complet reinstallation and i decided not to install java till
then.
> mk> i tried to call the charmer applet trought my webbrowser (apache),
>
> Netscape rather, huh? Apache is a server.

sorry i misspelled. i meant a webserver.

> mk> but i
> mk> dident work.
>
> Hmm. It would be great, if you could choose in netscape "tools" that you
> want to see the JAVA console. It would be very helpful to send us
> (i.e. the mailing list) a cut-and-paste of what you get as errors on
> the JAVA console.

here it is, its from IE 5 under mac

2/8/2001 @ 20:8:32
An exception occurred:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: charmer/client/Charmer
    at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletClassLoader_IMPL.loadClass(JMAppletClassLoade
rOld.java)

    at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletClassLoader_IMPL.loadClass(JMAppletClassLoade
rOld.java)

    at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletClassLoader_ROOT.loadClass(JMAppletClassLoade
rOld.java)

    at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletViewer_OLD.doLoadCode(JMAppletViewerOld.java)

    at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletViewer_OLD.setState(JMAppletViewerOld.java)

    at
com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMViewerEvent.post(JMAppletViewerOld.java)

    at
 com.apple.mrj.JManager.AVDispatcherThread.run(JMAppletViewerOld.java)

> Well, do you CD into the directory in which charmer resides? This
> could have an influence. Otherwise:
>
> move the charmer-0.2b folder into your public html, and adjust the
> codebase to be in
> http://localhost/~your-user-name/charmer-0.2b
> and then try to goto
>
> http://localhost/~your-user-name/charmer-0.2b/Charmer.html
>
> Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.
> Wolfgang
>

> --
> Wolfgang M&uuml;ller,
> assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant
> Personal page: http://cui.unige.ch/~vision/members/WolfgangMueller.html
> Maintainer, GNU Image Finding Tool (http://www.gnu.org/software/gift)

with this code it finaly worked.
 <applet
          code="charmer.client.Charmer.java"
          width=800 height=600
          codebase="http://172.31.7.12/martin/Charmer-0.2b";

i can  start the applet now trought my appache.

but i have still some problem with  the database.

they are nearly solved, the applet worked, and i was eable to indexing the
file, but i dont see the files in the applet, i can chose them, an also on
my linux terminal i see the right reaktion. but i cannt see the images  but
all the stuff is in the htdocs folder and with write/read permisson.

any sugestions??

thanks for helping

martin

http://home.beseen.com/community/kuene/basement.html

children should watch it with at least one adult person.
the strong aggression can damage the mental health of sensitive people.