help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] gengetopt localization

From: Marek Rupniewski
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] gengetopt localization
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:24:42 +0200

Hi Lorenzo,
According to my needs, on the first place I would put the non-configurable
strings that appear when a program is invoked with -h option (i.e. strings like
"OPTIONS", "Usage", "Print help and exit", "default=on/off", ...).
These are the strings that the end-user of a software is exposed to.

Then it would be nice to have localized all doxygen strings(comments) in
generated
cmdline.{c,h} files.

At the the end, I would mention the strings (typically errors) generated by
gengetopt itself. Actually I don't think that localizing this last group of
strings is necessary, because only "a software developer" is exposed to these
strings. One may assume that if a developer knows how to use gengetopt, then
his/her English is good enough to understand English documentation of gengetopt
(and to understand errors generated by gengetopt).

As to my help in the development part, I have no experience in using gettext
framework neither. I've just glanced through its manual. Nevertheless, I think
I could try to study this manual more carefully and help you in the process of
i18n/l10n of gengetopt if you wish.

Regards,
Marek