Re: [h-e-w] Trouble with TRAMP temp files under Windows 7

From: Dan Katz
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Trouble with TRAMP temp files under Windows 7
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 19:32:55 -0500

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Which probably means that some process holds that file open when Emacs
> originally tries to delete it.  Maybe the ftp process?

Or antivirus scanner.

So I've worked around the problem after a fashion.  It involved two pieces:

 - Giving up on the native MS ftp client and instead using the GNU client from here:  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/contrib/ftp-for-win32.zip
 - Writing an ange-ftp-process-startup-hook function which would toggle passive off (the main server I need to talk to would try to set passive on, but then the firewall would block things)

It's all a bit hokey, but it'll do for now.

The fact that the GNU ftp client works fine without all the file deletion problems suggests to me that the MS ftp client was in fact the culprit rather than a virus scanner or something else. It'd be interesting to see if anyone else with a Windows 7 box sees a similar problem with the native MS ftp client.

Thanks for all the help - the discussion around this really got my thinking going in a reasonable direction.

Dan