Re: [h-e-w] Open files from cygwin shell in emacs in a new buffer, not f

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Open files from cygwin shell in emacs in a new buffer, not frame
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:47:36 -0400

"Scott Plumlee" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> wrote:
>> "Scott Plumlee" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I'm running EmacsW32 with a cygwin shell inside it.  All the hints I
>>> find for opening files in the running version of emacs seem to open a
>>> new frame if I try to do something like "emacsclient FILE" from the
>>> command line.  Is it possible to have the file open as a new buffer?
>>> When I get the second frame, I use double the memory on the PC.
>>
>> That is possible, but I don't know how; I don't use emacsclient.
>>
>> But out of curiosity, since you are in an Emacs window, why not use
>> Emacs open file C-x C-f? It has tab completion equal to that used in
>> the cygwin bash shell (hmm, maybe it's not bash?).
>>

> I usually do just that, but in this case my bash directory and my
> emacs directory weren't laying nice.  They would be in two separate
> places, so I'd have to change one of them to make things work.  Turns
> out I had misconfigured some .bashrc and .emacs settings, now they are
> playing nice and I don't have to bother with emacsclient.
>
> (details at http://plumlee.org/blog/2008/07/24/emacs-cygwin-and-autocomplete/
> if you are bored/interested)

Yes, you must have CDPATH as well as PATH matching between bash and
Emacs. That's because bash is doing the cd, but Emacs is doing the
completion. Emacs needs to track your cd commands so it can do
completion. So if you do:

/bar$ cd foo

but that actually results in:

/bar/bing/foo$

Then Emacs will think you are in '/bar/foo', if it doesn't know CDPATH.

--
-- Stephe