[h-e-w] Re: NTEmacs 22.1 on Win 98SE

From: Juergen Fenn
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: NTEmacs 22.1 on Win 98SE
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:59:37 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> - As opposed to v21.3 the Windows explorer dialogue does not appear in
>>   22.1 when selecting File|open; you have to input the file name in
>>   minibuffer or use the speedbar (which I don't want to use for it is
>>   a rather crude interface indeed). I understand that I am not the
>>   only one missing the Windows dialogue here. Is there a solution to
>>   this?
>
> This works as expected on Windows 2K and XP.  If you can debug this
> and tell us what goes wrong, we will be happy to fix it.  None of the
> maintainers of the Windows port of Emacs use or have good access to
> Windows 9x, so it's not a surprise there are bugs there.

The latter was my guess, too. However, I suggest you add a notice to
the Windows readme file to make clear that Windows 9x is still
supported, but not as well tested as the more recent flavours of
Windows.

I have sent a bug report on this point.

If there is more I can do to help you fix this would you please let me
know. I would like to help you sort these problems out.

>> - My mouse cursor does not behave as expected. When selecting a menu
>>   item and hovering over the drop-down menu the cursor is sometimes
>>   displayed as an "input cursor", ie., a vertical line as when
>>   hovering over text in 22.1, sometimes it is displayed as a "hand"
>>   like in a WWW browser windows when hovering over a URL link. This
>>   behaviour can be reproduced.
>
> Again, I don't see this on XP.

Unfortunately, I cannnot make a screenshot of this effect because the
mouse pointer is not included in a screenshot...

>> - The all new drag and drop feature does not work at all.
>
> Could you please describe in detail what happens? (assuming something
> happens at all)

1. I select some text.
2. This piece of text is marked in yellow as selected.
3. I place the cursor above the selected text and press the left mouse
   button.
4. I try to drag this text to a different part of the buffer.
5. More text I hover over when dragging is selected in yellow. There
   is no dragging. There is not dropping either when I release the
   left mouse button.

>> - Running v22.1 sometimes makes Windows explorer freeze or even
>>   crash. I also could not open the start menu once, it just froze with
>>   the Start button appearing pressed in, but did not open. I had to
>>   reset and restart my system manually.
>
> Never saw this on XP.

I will send a bug report when it happens next time.

>> Or could it be that something from my .emacs still refers to the
>> parallel installation of v21.3, triggering these effects?
>
> You could try running "emacs -Q" for a while to test this
> possibility.

Well, this is hard as I depend on external settings for running AUCTeX
and Gnus... without these there is not much useful I can do with
Emacs... ;-)

>> All in all, I think the earlier version was much better integrated
>> into a Windows environment
>
> Any details about this better integration?

I mostly thought about the Windows explorer file dialogue which is
missing with me (see above).

Regards,
Jürgen.