Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 10:10:19 +0300

> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 00:35:19 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> However, Cygwin has _many_ tools that GnuWin32 does not.

True.  The question is: do you need them? Emacs normally won't use any
tools for its features that are not part of GnuWin32.  But if you do
need those other tools, and if you cannot find good native ports of
the same tools (quite a few tools have native Windows ports that are
not part of GnuWin32), then obviously Cygwin is the way to go.

> To get Cygwin to work with Emacs, install it at the root of the drive.
> In your case, that is "d:/". "Install" here means that is the
> directory you type in the Cygwin installer dialog. The Cygwin
> installer will warn you that installing at root is not recommended.
> However, if you dig into the Cygwin documentation, the only problem
> they point out is that you might have other stuff installed in d:/bin,
> d:/usr, etc. I think that's up to you!
>
> The reason this works is that Cygwin mounts / at the installation
> directory, and any directory under / does not use the /cygdrive
> notation. So if the installation directory is d:/, then any directory
> d:/foo/bar will be shown as /foo/bar in Cygwin, rather than
> /cygdrive/d/foo/bar. And the native Win32 Emacs will understand it.

I think this trick will work only as long as you work with files from
the same drive (D: in this case).  But anyway, I think such tinkering
is unjustified, because you will not need it if cygwin-mount.el does
its job well.