[h-e-w] emacs 22: Mouse wheel problems with two monitors

From: Eli Daniel
Subject: [h-e-w] emacs 22: Mouse wheel problems with two monitors
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:09:42 -0400

Hi all.

I'm using "GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-04-16 on LAPTOP" on XP Pro.  I am using two montors (actually, a laptop and external monitor), with my desktop extended across both.

In this configuration, scrolling with the mouse wheel works fine, as long as the emacs window is no higher/futher left than the monitor configured as primary.  In other words, with the emacs window on the primary monitor itself, everything is fine.  If I drag the emacs window to the secondary monitor, it works as long as the secondary monitor is configured to be entirely to the right (and below) the primary monitor.  If the secondary monitor is on the left of, or higher than, the primary, using the scroll wheel generates an error like:

<nil> <wheel-up> is undefined.

I am fairly sure that this works fine on emacs 21.3.1.

Has anybody else seen this, or have a workaround (other than arranging the monitors in such a way as to not provoke the problem)?

-Eli