[h-e-w] w32-shell-execute for IE?

From: David J. Biesack
Subject: [h-e-w] w32-shell-execute for IE?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:56:05 -0400 (EDT)

I'm extending the browse-url function I use so that it can select a specific
browser
to use based on the URL. (While I prefer Firefox, unfortunately there are many
sites
which use IE specific features or incorrect HTML which renders OK in IE but not
in Firefox.)

I use

    (w32-shell-execute "open" url)

to open a URL via my "default" URL protocol handler (Firefox).
I can launch IE via

(defvar win32-internet-explorer "C:\\Program Files\\Internet
Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE"
  "*Location of Internet Explorer")

  (start-process "Internet Explorer" nil win32-internet-explorer url))

but I'd like to know if there is a shell command to open a URL (via DDE) if
IE is already running, that is, is there something like

    (w32-shell-execute "open-in-ie" url)

that I can use even though my default browser if Firefox?

(btw, I have the IE Browse extension for Firefox, but it's not perfect.)

thanks

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
(919) 531-7771       SAS Campus Drive