Re: [h-e-w] w32-shell-execute for IE?

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] w32-shell-execute for IE?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:34:11 -0400

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been using the Firefox extension
IEView, which reroutes specified pages into IE.

An elisp solution would be very nice. You might look at a package
called WebJump to modify. It provides a very nice way of storing URLs
and easily loading them into your default browser. You could add an
option in the list of URL's to specify which browser to use.

It's now part of the standard distribution, but I would also recommend
you get the webjump-plus package, which has a good list of sites
already configured.

http://www.neilvandyke.org/webjump/

Also, I have the following functions defined for my own use
to select a browser from within emacs interactively:

;; in my ~/.emacs file
(defconst IEPRG "c:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe"
  "points to the Internet Explorer location")
(defconst FRFXPRG "c:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/Firefox.Exe"
  "points to the Mozilla Firefox location")
(defconst BRWSR FRFXPRG
  "set the default browser to use within emacs")

;; in my ~/.emacs-functions.el file
(defun ie (&optional url &optional arg)
  "Launch Internet Explorer with an optional URL"
  (interactive "MURL (optional): ")
  (if (string= url "")
          (w32-shell-execute "open" IEPRG)
        (w32-shell-execute "open" IEPRG url arg)))

(defun fx (&optional url)
  "Launch the Mozilla Firefox browser with an optional URL"
  (interactive "MURL (optional): ")
  (if (string= url "")
          (w32-shell-execute "open" FRFXPRG "/prefetch:1")
        (w32-shell-execute "open" FRFXPRG url)))

- Chris

--
    Chris McMahan | address@hidden