Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:33:39 +0200

I think my message about reversing the -q flag to something like -w for wait
did not really get through so I make a new try, explaining more carefully.

The facts are (I am reading the code for Guys version):

1) Gnuclientw exists to avoid the ugly dos window. (Jason)

2) It is essentially the same code as gnuclient. The difference is in the
three lines

#ifdef WIN_VERSION
 qflg++;
#endif

which sets -q for the WIN_VERSION (gnuclientw). (From Guys code, maybe David
read some other code?)

3) Gnuclientw is compiled as a win32 application and gnuclient is compiled
as a win32 console application. A win32 application should never show a dos
box as far as I understand. (David, are you using Guys version?) And even if
gnuclientw is waiting you will not notice this if you start it from the
command line. (Just change the lines above and recompile to see that. Look
in task manager.)

4) The console version can output messages to stdout and stderr. I consider
this as useful. I rewrote gnuclient.c to take advantage of this. It is
useful for checking the setup I think.

5) If a link on the desktop is used as a drop-target it does not read the
arguments. (David - and I tested this too on NT4 SP6.)

6) We do not want shortcuts or drop-target to wait and we do not want them
to display a dos window.

7) Drop-targets do not accept arguments so gnuclientw must avoid to wait by
default.

8) If gnuclient[w] waits for a "ready message" from gnuserv is handled by
the -q flag. If this flag is set then server is called with
server-edit-files (which sends a "ready message" when the buffer is killed),
otherwise server-edit-files-quickly is called (and this sends no "ready
message" back).

9) As David and others have pointed out it is very important that
gnuclient[w] waits when Emacs is used as an editing server for another
program. Both gnuclient and gnuclientw can wait!

Summing this up I come to the conclusions:

a) Gnuclientw must not wait by default (drop-target)
b) It must be able to wait
c) We do most often not want to use gnuclient because of the ugly dos box.
d) This leads to that the -q switch is not very useful. Instead I sugges a
reverse switch that can fullfill this: -w for wait. Remove the old -q
switch!

I hope I have addressed most of the questions regarding waiting here. Sorry
for not answering directly but i thought it would be easier to get it all
together.

- Lennart