Re: [h-e-w] Building 21.1 using cygwin

From: David Starks-Browning
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Building 21.1 using cygwin
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:55:38 +0100

On Tuesday 23 Oct 01, Frank Schmitt writes:
> Hallo David Starks-Browning,
>
> Am 23.10.2001 um 19:33 sagtest du:
>
> >I do not believe that GNU Emacs is ported to Cygwin.
>
> Why not? Is it so hard to do, or is it just because there's nobody
> willing to do it? AFAIK all needed libraries are avaible for cygwin,
> too. (Even the image support libraries which work very well with
> XEmacs.)

I'm not qualified to answer this.  If you search the mailing list
archives (when it was called ntemacs-users), you should find some
detailed discussion of this from Andrew Innes.

You can assume that it is at least moderately hard, or time consuming,
otherwise it would have been done by now.

Now that Cygwin makes it so easy to telnet or ssh into your Windows
PC, we'd all like to be able to run 'emacs -nw' in that session.  But
that isn't possible today.  If you need to do that, you need to run
"xemacs -nw" instead, with a Cygwin version of Xemacs.  (Xemacs should
build out of the box on Cygwin, even without X.)

Hope this helps.

(This is FAQ fodder, if the NT-Emacs FAQ maintainer is listening...)

Cheers,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)