help-debbugs

Offer to maintain GNU's Debbugs instance (and modernize it)

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Offer to maintain GNU's Debbugs instance (and modernize it)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:12:35 -0700

Hi Noam,

If there is a consensus that GNU's Debbugs instance is allowed to
diverge from Debian's, I would be happy to spend some time with it.

I'd like to separate the GNU instance from the upstream project at
Debian. My goal is to gradually reimplement Debbugs for the GNU project
in GNU Guile. It would likely be a dynamic web application. Is that an
acceptable path forward for everyone?

My main motivation is that the Guix project, a sub-project of GNU,
depends on GNU Debbugs to a great extent. Substantial efforts were
already made to augment it, but they remain incomplete and
under-appreciated. [1]

I maintained Debian's QA tool Lintian for five years and have the
necessary Perl knowledge. I have interacted with the Debian Debbugs
instance in thousands of bug reports. I also maintained the companion
web site https://lintian.debian.org.

As start, I submitted a small patch series to your repo on Gitlab [2]
which should do two trivial things:

(1) Restore the copyright notice on the "no such bug" page.
(2) Use Text::Xslate for one template in the CGI script for bug reports.

The patches are untested but should run on Debian 8 or 9, if
needed. They require the Debian prerequisite 'libtext-xslate-perl'.

I sincerely hope that my efforts will be appreciated in the
community. Perhaps some positive energy will also attract additional
co-maintainers who prefer email-based bug workflows over web-based code
forges.

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/