help-debbugs

Re: cannot (force)merge bugs

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: cannot (force)merge bugs
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:27:37 -0600

Hi Michael - thanks for the reply.

    So this looks like it should be OK for all bugs but 60419.

Yes, more or less (I'm trying again with 60419). There are remaining
minor issues, but since apparently debbugs is unmaintained, no point in
taking up time writing more.

Apparently there is a delay in acting on the control msgs, which was my
main confusion.  It would be nice if debbugs doc said that somewhere.
I mean, I got the reply back from the control server and expected the
actions it said had been taken had been taken. Nope.

    Some quotation from the Help on
    <https://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control.html>

Yes, I read that text many times. That's why I ended up using
forcemerge. There are lots of criteria for merge and debbugs apparently
doesn't report why a merge didn't happen. I'm certainly not going to
spend my time figuring out exactly which minor difference it objects to
when I (thankfully) have the forcemerge alternative.

    That means, merge and forcemerge are possible only on unarchived

None of the bugs I was working on were archived. As far as I know.
One would hope that debbugs would report that, if it were the case,
but I don't know if it does.

Anyway, onwards ... --thanks, karl.