help-debbugs

Re: disk space

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: disk space
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 19:52:48 -0500

If there is more space on the VM host, that is obviously easier.
But IIRC last time this came up I was told there wasn't any left
(the size has already been increased a couple of times over the years).

Do note that the mailman archives serve no real purpose. They aren't
public (and should not be). The only point of mailman in the system is
to do the initial moderation of submissions. After that, accepted
messages get passed to debbugs, which stores all the mails itself (in
/var/lib/debbugs). The fact that mailman _also_ archives all the mails is
a side-effect. If implementing the system from scratch, we might have
disabled mailman archiving from the start. As it stands, 9GB (25% of the
disk) is basically being wasted.

The only conceivable use for the mailman archives is if the debbugs part
breaks, then one could recover messages from mailman and re-inject them
into debbugs. But that would be a short-term thing, ie only going back a
day or so. There will never be a need to get years-old mails from the
mailman archives.

But please feel free to deal with it however you prefer. Thanks! :)