help-debbugs

Re: disk space

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: disk space
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 18:28:48 -0700

Glenn Morris wrote:
> The disk on debbugs.gnu is over 90% full, which is not great, not terrible.

The bytes of time march forward, forever forward.

> To reclaim space, I suggest deleting some list archives from /var/lib/mailman.
> Really, none of these should be needed at all, but maybe start by deleting
> everything more than say 5 years old, and see what difference that makes?
>
> Does anyone feel like doing that?

If the archives _were_ useful then I think they would continue to be
useful.  I am hesitant to want to discard them.

Instead let's increase the disk space available.  I see that it is a
35GB size partition.  That's not very large by current standards.  I
know that since debbugs was set up that now more disk space is
available on the hosting system.  Let's increase the disk space on
debbugs.  We could easily increase it to 60 or 70 GB.  The details all
depend upon the server it is being hosted upon and other things known
only to the FSF admins.

I am happy to work with the FSF admins to do this.  It would need a
reboot and then a resize2fs on the volume and should be relatively
simple to do.  The FSF admins next working day is after the holiday on
next Monday.  I would be happy to work through the task.

Thanks for bringing this up! :-)

Bob