help-bash

Re: In which version was enable-bracketed-paste introduced?

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: In which version was enable-bracketed-paste introduced?
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 23:28:31 -0500

On 2/2/21 11:01 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:22 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:

I notice that I have to add `set enable-bracketed-paste off` into my
~/.inputrc to disable adding ansi color code when copying text. But I
don't remember this feature in earlier version of bash. At which
version of bash was this feature introduced? Thanks.

Bracketed paste support was added in readline 7.0 (bash 4.4) [1]
and became enabled by default in readline 8.1 (bash 5.1) [2].

This is correct. The other change, to add the active region code that does
the actual highlighting, is from a patch back in March, 2018:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2018-03/msg00056.html

that I finally added in March, 2020:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2020-03/msg00064.html

and appeared in bash-5.1/readline-8.1.

The reason for the active region patch is to highlight the text inserted
by bracketed-paste.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/