help-bash

Is it necessary to use Mac's /etc/bashrc_Apple_Terminal

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Is it necessary to use Mac's /etc/bashrc_Apple_Terminal
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 08:24:48 -0600

Hi,

Mac has /etc/bashrc_Apple_Terminal loaded by the following files. It
basically tries to save the history. But I feel sluggish when I try to
terminate a terminal especially when my machine is busy. Even when I
disable it with SHELL_SESSION_HISTORY=0, I still can feel the
sluggishness.

Is it appropriate to comment out the line `[ -r
"/etc/bashrc_$TERM_PROGRAM" ] && . "/etc/bashrc_$TERM_PROGRAM"` and
only rely on the bash native way to handle history? Will this cause
any problem? Thanks.

https://gist.github.com/floam/f535842a16226e77d014d67bade2b2f3

$ cat /etc/profile
# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
    eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
fi

if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
    [ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
fi
$ cat /etc/bashrc
# System-wide .bashrc file for interactive bash(1) shells.
if [ -z "$PS1" ]; then
   return
fi

PS1='\h:\W \u\$ '
# Make bash check its window size after a process completes
shopt -s checkwinsize

[ -r "/etc/bashrc_$TERM_PROGRAM" ] && . "/etc/bashrc_$TERM_PROGRAM"

--
Regards,
Peng