health

Re: [Health] Thalamus

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] Thalamus
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 12:37:44 +0100

Dear Bahaa
On Sat, 18 May 2019 13:53:12 -0400
Bahaa Alamood <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Dr. Falcon,
>

> First of all, thanks for the quick response and thanks for all the
> work you  and your team have done and still doing for the health of
> all humans.

Thank you for being part of the community :)

> I guess I was not clear about the problem I am having. I have
> installed gnu health on one machine and configured the company and
> institution as well as I have added a user as a health professional.
> I have install Thalamus on another machine and it is running and
> accepting request as you  can see from the log output  below:
>

> 2019-05-17 18:44:50 +0000] [1373] [DEBUG] GET /people/balamood
> [2019-05-17 18:46:18 +0000] [1373] [DEBUG] GET /people/VSQ827RFZ
> [2019-05-17 18:47:25 +0000] [1373] [DEBUG] GET /people/balamood
> [2019-05-17 18:49:12 +0000] [1373] [DEBUG] GET /people/balamood
> [2019-05-17 18:53:43 +0000] [1373] [DEBUG] GET /people/balamood
> [2019-05-17 18:53:58 +0000] [1373] [DEBUG] GET /people/admin
> [2019-05-18 16:11:46 +0000] [1373] [DEBUG] GET /people/admin
>

> my problem is in setting the parameters for the Thalamus server from
> the other node. I just need to know how to create these users and
> passwords that Thalamus would accept?
>

> Also if Thalamus is just a message relay how does it authenticate?
> what does it compare the credentials to when doing the
> authentication? right now I have an empty DB on the Thalamus node how
> does it get populated with user credentials?

We need to differentiate between the Health Information System (HIS) and
the Hospital Management System (node)

* HIS: Thalamus + Pg Document-oriented DB (available to all nodes)
* HMIS : One node of the many nodes that can participate on the
Federation. This node is the "traditional" GNU Health HMIS that you
installed, with the "health_federation" module that allows the
connection to Thalamus.

As explained in the documentation , each node is independent. What is
important is that the Federation Account. This is a unique ID assigned
to each person, and that is part of every resource related to her /
him.

We have a simple "populate" script that fills in some demo users at
the HIS (The new development version of thalamus has a "root" user).

The HIS uses a role-based authorization model. It is up to each node to
interact with Thalamus for the different actions (retrieve, update,
create... ) on the available resources (demographics, Pages of
Life, ... ).

For instance, to make GH HMIS communicate to the Federation, we use
the  "Federation Node Configuration", where we include the admin user
in control of the GH instance node. That will be responsible to
automatically send all queued requests to Thalamus.

Due to the federated model design, you need to keep in mind that the
credentials used to authenticate users on the nodes are not necessarily
the same as in the HIS.

The upcoming GNU Health Federation Portal will serve to make the
administration tasks (like creating a new federation account) simpler .
You can read more in these announcements.

* http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/health-dev/2019-04/msg00005.html
* http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/health-dev/2019-05/msg00000.html

It might sound a bit daunting at the beginning, but it's actually a
simple, yet very flexible and scalable model.

Hope it's clearer now. Anyways, I will be speaking about this at
openSUSE Conference this Friday in Nuremberg, Germany. It is supposed
to be streamed, so you should be able to join.

In addition, on June 3rd we'll be having a community meeting via Jitsi,
where we'll talk about the Federation, so looking forward to seeing you
there ! :)

Have a great week !
Luis