health

Re: [Health] High Level Database architecture question

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] High Level Database architecture question
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:02:37 +0100

Dear Vernon

El Wed, 5 Oct 2016 12:20:19 -0400
Vernon Oberholzer <address@hidden> escribió:
> Hi,
> Traditionally, many healthcare systems have used some form of the
> Mumps(M) database. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS
>
> This database is not a traditional relational database, and is
> claimed to be particularly well suited to healthcare data because
> of it's flexibility and speed.
>
> With GNU Health using the Postgresql relational database as it's
> foundation, have there been any issues relating to flexibility or
> performance, or have these factors been satisfactory thus far ?

I would say so far so good, in terms of performance and scalability.
However, I would like to differentiate the transactional / operational
system in the daily activity of a health institution (encounters,
hospitalizations, lab, financial, ... ) from the document/reporting
Health Information System (demographics, epidemiology, ... )

Until version 3.0, GNU Health delivers both transactional and
reporting functionality under the same solution.

The upcoming GNU Health 3.2 will introduce the GNU Health Federation,
which, among other things, will allow to separate the transactional,
relational system (eg, Tryton and PostgreSQL) from Health Information
System with a NoSQL, Document-oriented DB (eg, MongoDB) for data
aggregation, reporting...  I believe this will bring the best of both
worlds. Flexibility and performance in terms of Health information
System and the integrity needed on the Hospital Management.

Kind regards

--
Dr. Luis Falcon, M.D., BSc
President, GNU Solidario