h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] proposal 101 - update

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] proposal 101 - update
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 15:33:04 +0200

Am 27.05.2015, 14:35 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

Felix suggests in
http://nongnu.org/h5md/proposals/0101_particles_and_tuples_lists.html

"""Alternatively, let `particles_group` point to the respective group in
`/particles` using a hard/soft link, which ensures that this group exists."""

It cannot be a hard link because if the list is time-independent you cannot have
this hard link anywhere (hard links go into groups).

However, if we have

<list_name>: Integer[N]
  +-- particles_group: HDF5 Reference

(see http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5R.html)

References can be stored as attributes. I vaguely remember that we discussed the
use of references in the past but cannot find this topic on the list.

Has anyone a comment on the use of HDF5 references?

Cheers,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

I see the problem with hard links. "Object references" seem to be a good alternative. They do not guarantee that the referenced object exists, but at least it must exist upon creation of the reference. I think this small change is a clear improvement over the original proposal, where the reference to the group in /particles occurred by means of a simple string.

Note that we should restrict to "Object references", in contrast to references to a Dataset region, see
https://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/RM/RM_H5R.html#Reference-Create.

Best wishes,

Felix