h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] units module

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] units module
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:38:19 +0100

Pierre de Buyl writes:

 > Pragmatic :-)

Indeed :-)

 > Well, I tested writing from Fortran and that works nice :-)
 >
 > Peter and I tested reading in Python and that is ok.
 >
 > Konrad, you expressed concerns about UTF8, could you comment on whether that
 > would be a problem?

The problem is not so much in reading and writing UTF-8 (which is
indeed just like ASCII), but in interpreting UTF-8 strings. So we need
to consider code that manipulates unit strings rather than just
copying them around. Stuff like applying/removing SI prefixes. Of
course I wouldn't like doing that in C even with ASCII.

There's also the practical problem of writing unit string constants in
languages that don't accept Unicode in the source. It's possible, of
course, but not convenient.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Saint Aubin - BP 48