h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] units module

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] units module
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:58:30 -0500

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 04:47:27PM +0100, Felix Höfling wrote:
> So what is the conclusion? That a reader has to be prepared for the
> different encodings and define the memory datatype accordingly when
> reading strings? What about reading a file datatype UTF8 to a memory
> datatype ASCII (i.e., not caring about the encoding)?

My suggested conclusion is to test, and choose either, but not both.

If the tests yield that UTF-8 can be written and read easily and by
all needed library interfaces, than we stick to UTF-8 encoding for the
unit field as defined by the units module.

If the tests yield that UTF-8 cannot be handled easily by some
clients, than we stick to ASCII encoding for the unit field.

Peter