h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Minor revisions before H5MD v1.0

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Minor revisions before H5MD v1.0
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 18:15:23 +0200

Am 03.05.2013, 16:27 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

Hi Felix,

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 04:03:26PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
Am 02.05.2013, 22:57 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg
<address@hidden>:

On the other hand, attributes are the most efficient way for
small pieces of information as you noted earlier.

This ambiguity is already inherent in the HDF5 Manual, see the first
sentences of Chapter 8.1:
http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/UG/UG_frame13Attributes.html
Further down in this chapter, the maximum reasonable size of an
attribute is given as 64k. So in conclusion, storing the fixed box
data as attribute would be fine with me.

Should we mention the 64k in a small section on HDF5 implementation?

That could serve as a guideline for future decisions on small (meta)data.

Good idea.

>The "parameters" group is intended as a program-dependent group.
>I suggest to remove the "parameters/dimension" attribute, as it
>is in contrast to the purpose of this group. The dimension can
>be derived from, e.g., the "edges" attributes or "edges/value"
>dataset, similar to the number of particles being derived from
>"position/value" dataset(s).

I think we should not turn the clock back. There were good reasons
to include the dimension parameter explicitly, mainly it cannot be
inferred from scalar datasets in /observables. Recall that the box
group is not mandatory.

(It was a recent proposal, so it can be reverted without causing trouble.)

I am definitely opposed to defining anything within the “parameters”
group. That group has been, as said, intended as program-specific.

As for the spatial dimension attribute: The idea of self-describing
datasets is one of the main benefits of using a structural format for
storing molecular data. I would rather not violate that principle.

If you need to split up your files, you could store the box group as
well, or add a custom attribute "dimension" to your observables. The
tool h5copy is quite useful for such splitting operations.

Peter

I do not adhere to the /parameters group, but one needs a definite place were an H5MD reader can get the space dimension from in a simple and reliable way. In particular, it must not depend on the presence of any group, be it /trajectory or /observables or /observables/box. The point is that the scalar observable data sets are incomplete without the dimension thus breaking the self-descriptiveness of the data format.

Felix