guix-science

Re: Conda environments and reproducibility

From: Thibault Lestang
Subject: Re: Conda environments and reproducibility
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:40:27 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr> writes:

> “Seeing is believing” so I think we should build upon Thibault’s
> experiments and on what Simon and Ricardo pointed out to write an
> article showing in concrete ways in which Conda would fail to reproduce
> a software environment.

I'm all for it.

As Ricardo and Simon made clear in previous messages, the current
experiment is only exercising the conda resolver -- whilst maintaining
the underlying system and libraries constant in time.  Which at the time
I thought was actually the interesting issue.  I'll try to find some
time in the next few days to add a couple of cases where they are
allowed to vary.

@Simon: Whether I actually do it or not, feel free to add/tweak the
pipelines when you're back.  You should be able to open a merge request?

As a reminder the repo currently lives at

https://framagit.org/tlestang/conda-python-example

Happy for it to be moved if there is somewhere else that is more
suitful.

-- Thibault