guix-devel

Re: Scheduling a new release?

From: Christina O'Donnell
Subject: Re: Scheduling a new release?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 11:19:57 +0100

Hi,

On 08/05/2024 14:01, Christopher Baines wrote:
I think it would be nice to have a new release, and indeed release more
often, I think the way to get there is for less things to be broken
between releases, such that releasing takes less effort in terms of
testing and fixing things.

To give some specific issues, I've run up against the recent issues with
nss [1][2] and I don't think we could release with the nss package as is
currently.

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70662
2: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70663

I can fix these by disabling tests, but I would prefer if someone with more experience packaging for guix could make a decision on it. Otherwise, I don't have any problem reducing the number of tests and disabling all tests on PowerPC at least.

I could also do some analysis if it was deemed necessary, inserting a patch to measure the timings of each test/cycle. Additionally, I could try packaging some of the versions between 0.88 and 0.98 to identify the exact change that could be to blame. However, both of these seem overkill, given the backlog of patches/issues we have left to get through, and the manpower we currently have to work with.

Would any of that be helpful?

Kind regards,

Christina