guix-devel

Re: branch master updated (2bea3f2562 -> 6745d692d4)

From: Tomas Volf
Subject: Re: branch master updated (2bea3f2562 -> 6745d692d4)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 18:53:58 +0200

On 2024-05-10 11:28:48 -0400, kiasoc5 wrote:
> > Yeah, it's very annoying that I missed these two FIXUP commits :-/
> >

> Seeing that these are the only 2 FIXUP commits on the master branch history
> so far, would it make sense to force push and edit the history? Yes, it
> would mess up everyone's local checkout

And *every* installation that already pulled those commits.  So it would affect
not only developers, but also users. At least as far I understand it.

> , but if editing the history for Guix
> would ever be justified, I feel like this would be one such scenario.

I do not believe that is a bridge that should be crossed, definitely not in this
case.  The commits look bit ugly, but practically speaking do little harm (in my
opinion).  Yes, they might break bisect, but so do other commits from time to
time.

We will just have to live with it.

But that is just like, my opinion. :)

Have a nice day,
Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.