guix-devel

Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/q

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:11:54 +0200

On 3/21/24 17:08, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
Hello pinoaffe,

pinoaffe <pinoaffe@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

I think we, as Guix,
- should examine if/how it is currently feasible to rewrite our git
history,
it's not, see also:
https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/securing-updates/

- should examine possible workarounds going forward,
- should move towards something like UUIDs and petnames in the long run.

(see https://spritelyproject.org/news/petname-systems.html).
I don't understand how using petnames, uuids or even a re:claimID
identity (see below) could solve the problem with "rewriting history" in
case a person wishes to change his or her previous _published_ name
(petname, uuid...) in an archived content-addressable storage system.

It doesnt solve the problem of rewriting history. It solves the bug of having names part of the git history.

see also https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/20960 for Gitlab doing the same thing.

MSavoritias

As a side note, other than the "petname system" please also consider
re:claimID from GNUnet:
https://www.gnunet.org/en/reclaim/index.html
https://www.gnunet.org/en/reclaim/motivation.html

[...]