guix-devel

Hostile takeover of the matrix room

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Hostile takeover of the matrix room
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 18:32:17 +0000

I've been informed that during transfer of #guix:matrix.org on #guix:tchncs.de Tobias Geerinckx-Rice (nckx) was able to stage a hostile takeover over the room and banned me from the new one.

Just to set the record streight I've been maintaining the room in #guix:matrix.org for about 8 months now through updating centralized banlist in mjolnir (due to the original admin being long offline) (https://github.com/matrix-org/mjolnir) which is the current recommended moderation too complying with MSC2313 (https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-doc/pull/2313)[https://matrix.org/docs/guides/moderation] and which is set up in the #guix:tchncs.de room so that it doesn't overflow with cryptospammers and people harming the comunity during this time according to my logs i've set 73 entries in the banlist while moderating to make the room as helpful as possible to new and current guix users.

To disperse any doubt about the maintenance of the room the room transfer was carried out according to matrix.org guidelines and I've set myself as moderator and created new account with admin permissions, if you want to be added as moderator (admin permission is discouraged, but available if you have a commit access to the guix repository) then contact me or Julien Lepiller who has access to the account and if you do join the room do that through the matrix space available on #gnu-guix:tchncs.de which has other guix-relevant rooms and guide how to set up libera.chat account to be used on matrix that you need to follow in order to send messages in IRC channels that require registration.

I discourage you from using the matrix.org room until this matter is resolved as it's contributing to the centralization issue that is harming the whole matrix.org network at the moment and has missconfigured moderation, thus why the plan was to set it up on tchncs.de who have significantly higher uptime and more proactive administration team in a juridistiction with strong laws for user privacy and set an alias from matrix.org to that room.

---

On the subject of Tobias Geerinckx-Rice (nckx) and context to why i refuse to use #guix on IRC and actively avoid any interection with this invidual:

He's been harassing me since I joined guix with far-right rhetoric against me and my country (Czechia) and trying to abuse his moderation status on IRC to threten me that i either ask him for permission to who i am allowed to talk with and how or i get banned from the IRC channel.
During this time nckx vandalized my group 'GNU Guix Community' on libreplanet created to maintain the community wiki on https://guix.miraheze.org and spam-reported the wiki so that it would be flagged for removal multiple times until miraheze fixed the issue while removing any mention of the wiki from guix website so that it wouldn't be available to the community.

I've reported his behaviour towards me to The GNU Project regarding enforcement of safe space policy which was ignored so I took the IRC ban and been using matrix since.

Thanks for your understanding,
-- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek