guix-devel

Re: Stumpwm Contrib Packages

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Stumpwm Contrib Packages
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 14:53:48 +0200

On 11-09-2022 17:02, Trev wrote:
Hey Guix,

I am trying to decide whether or not to contribute a refactor of
stumpwm-contrib in gnu/packages/wm.scm. It feels like each contrib
module should be its own package with its own checkout and that it might
be a bad idea to update all of the contrib modules through one common
ancestor.

If you are not familar with stumpwm and stumpwm-contrib, you can see the
source repository here:https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm-contrib

The inheritance I am referring to is here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/wm.scm#n1942

My reasoning for this is that if breaking changes are introduced to one
module, but wanted updates happen to another, it would be nice to avoid
the breaking changes and get the updates.

If the stumpwm people put lots of components in a single
'stumpwm-contrib', I expect that they take care of making sure all the components _within a single version_ remain compatible, and that by picking a separate commit for each component in Guix, it is likely to encounter incompatibilities (breaking changes).

In the hopefully rare case where we encounter an incompatibility, we can still choose to override the checkout for the impacted package.

As such, I recommend keeping the status quo.

Greetings,
Maxime