guix-devel

Re: Sanitizer of record fields?

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Sanitizer of record fields?
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 13:33:56 +0200

On 08-09-2022 13:16, zimoun wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 08 Sep 2022 at 11:32, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:
On 08-09-2022 09:59, zimoun wrote:
We could add a lint checker.  Is it a “good” idea?
We already have one, 'check-license'.
Yeah, but I was talking about check if the field return the expected
record type.  Not only for the license one.
Then maybe add more checkers, for the other fields as well? I'm not seeing
any downsides.
Because lint is not always applied, a check should be done when running
’make’ or a special target.  Is it a “good” idea?
I suppose it is a possibility, but it adds a few seconds to every 'make':

time ./pre-inst-env guix lint --checkers=license
make  all-recursive  [...]
gnu/packages/qt.scm:1373:13: qtshadertools@6.3.1: invalid license field
gnu/packages/tex.scm:11816:2: texlive-setspace@59745: invalid
It means that “guix lint” is not systematically run. :-)

I agree that the overhead on ’make’ is probably not worth.  Maybe, more
checks could be run by the pre push hook.  WDYT?
I suppose?  Not seeing any immediate problems, but I haven't ever pushed
to the Guix repo or ever used pre-push hooks ...

Greetings,
Maxime.