guix-devel

Re: Updating mumi on berlin

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann
Subject: Re: Updating mumi on berlin
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 00:16:57 -0300

Hello,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thiago Jung Bauermann <bauermann@kolabnow.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> (IIRC, I think they're related to the lei tests expecting to be able
>>> to kill the lei-daemon process, which isn't the case in Guix's build
>>> environment.)
>>
>> Yes, that's what I'm seeing as well. The lei-daemon process is actually
>> killed, but because of bug 30948 it is left in a zombie state and so the
>> testsuite thinks that it didn't go away.
>
>> The testsuite checks whether lei-daemon is gone by doing a
>> “kill(<lei-daemon pid>, 0)”, which unfortunately succeeds for zombie
>> processes.
>>
>> I've been meaning to add child reaping to the Guix builder process, but
>> I'm moving very slowly due to time constraints and my unfamiliarity with
>> that part of Guix...
>
> Yes, that would be the correct and general solution (I hope you get to
> fix it, else I may look into it in some time).

I hope so too, but at this point it's more hope than anything else,
unfortunately. I think I'll be in a time crunch for a few more weeks...

> Workarounds currently in use can be seen in our mutter package
> definition (it's a bit convoluted, having to fork a process in which
> we set the child reaping property and invoke the test suite via tini,
> acting as a fake PID 1).

Ah, that's great to know! This is a good alternative for the main
branch, since the general solution would need to go to core-updates
since it would change every derivation in Guix.

> HTH,

It does, very much! Thank you for the mutter tip.

--
Thanks
Thiago