guix-devel

Re: Updating from Go 1.17 to 1.18

From: Pier-Hugues Pellerin
Subject: Re: Updating from Go 1.17 to 1.18
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 15:07:20 -0400

Hello Katherine and Ludovic,

I've finally had the time to push the patches[0], my house was hit hard by sickness.

Concerning having Go 1.18 as the default version, I think it's on Ludovic side to create a
branch to see where things breaks..

Not sure where the outputs will be but I am sure we will have a few dependencies to fix
It will be good to work together to fix them.

Thanks

[0] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55210

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> wrote:
Pier-Hugues Pellerin <ph@heykimo.com> writes:

> We should probably also try to mimic how their bootstrap and have the
> following:
>
>    - Bootstrap 1.17 with 1.4
>    - Bootstrap 1.18 with 1.4
>    - Have 1.19 bootstrap with 1.17.
>
> So maybe we should do something like this.
>
> - Add go-1.18 build from 1.4.
> - Add go-next that point to go-1.18
> - Refactor 1.17 package definition that is shared between go-1.18. and
> go-1.17.
> - Move  go to go-1.18  in another branch
> - Remove 1.16?

Thanks for looking into how the Go team will be bootstrapping, and I
agree with your plan. Is there anything I can do to help?

--
Katherine

--
ph