guix-devel

Re: gnu: shepherd: patch, snippet or phase

From: Zhu Zihao
Subject: Re: gnu: shepherd: patch, snippet or phase
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 14:34:12 +0800

IMO, It's cumbersome to add patches in build phase, you have to add a
new phase, and write something like:

```
(invoke "patch" "-p1" ...)
```

So packager will prefer to add it in the `patches` slot of <origin>
struct. I'd like to see if we have some build procedure like
`apply-patches` to help packager reduce the misnomer of `patches` slot.

Or we can add a new keyword argument #:patches-for-build to
gnu-build-system. For example

```
(package
  (name "XXX")
  (source
   (origin
    (patches (search-patches "...."))))
  (arguments
   (list
   ;; This patch only used when building the package
   #:patches-for-build (search-patches ".....")
   )))
```

--
Retrieve my PGP public key:

  gpg --recv-keys D47A9C8B2AE3905B563D9135BE42B352A9F6821F

Zihao