guix-devel

Re: Video Conference

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Video Conference
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 22:58:11 -0400

Disclaimer: My employer spearheads the development of Jami.

Hello,

Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> From time to time, I think about audio/video mixer (.i.e. video
> conference software like BBB or Jitsi) , with the intension of making
> it highly modular that it can be freely remixed and reinvented by
> volunteer participants.
>
> Is anyone interested?   Or is can you think about something that already
> exists?

You may be interested in trying out Jami; there's a package for it in
Guix that works rather well, and there's also a jami service that is
useful to easily keep a rendezvous point online on servers, for example.
I've made available such a rendezvous point to the community, feel free
to try it; it's reachable at 'rdv-jami-guix'.

About making it modular; I know there's now a plugin system in Jami that
enable people to author plugins to implement things such as changing the
background (green screen), applying a blur filter, etc.  The
architecture of the software also makes it easy to create new clients
for it, as the core library is a distinct package (libjami).

Hope that helps,

Maxim