guix-devel

Re: Guix Documentation Meetup

From: calcium
Subject: Re: Guix Documentation Meetup
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:42:35 +0100

I strongly agree with matt about the importance of discoverability that is
currently lacking (`geiser-doc-symbol-at-point isn't enough).
Its pretty hard to find out how to do something beyond the basic usage.

I would like for Guix to host a community wiki (in addition to a more
discoverable official documentation).

Because a collaborative wiki that encourages effortless and low quality content
could alleviate the problem of discoverability and context.

This could serve as a stepping stone for users to understand the context (by
reading what another user tried and failed to achieve) and to find possible
solutions (avoiding the time sunk of dead-ends and maybe adapting an ugly hack
into a cleaner solution, or even just using the ugly hack, instead of gving up
on the use of Guix).

The low quality wiki could also motivate people to correct misconceptions and submit
better approaches ("Someone is WRONG on the internet" https://xkcd.com/386/ ).