guix-devel

Re: On raw strings in <origin> commit field

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: On raw strings in <origin> commit field
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 10:22:26 +0100

Hi Liliana,

On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 at 22:35, Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> The statement still appears to me wrong because Git commit hash only
>> depends on the content itself.
>
> If you define content through the NAR hash used by Guix, I'm pretty
> sure vanity commits invalidate that statement.

I do not understand what it means – not to say I think your comment does
not make sense at all.  Well, I already took the time to explain twice
how it works.

<https://yhetil.org/guix/86y243kdoo.fsf@gmail.com>
<https://yhetil.org/guix/867dbmi7pf.fsf@gmail.com>

Maybe you also deny the Git documentation saying «Git is a
content-addressable filesystem.»

<https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Git-Objects>

I have the impression that you are trying to keep your statement by
stretching how it concretely works.  Instead of just say: “My bad, I was
going too far with the chosen-prefix attack of SHA-1”.  And that’s fine
because that’s a valid objection.  (Even if I was already aware,
mentioning such issue helps for a sane collective discussion, IMHO.)

Other said, I totally miss why you are raising what now appears to me as
bad faith.  Anyway.

For the rest, I could comment several items but I will not.  I would
repeat myself and other minor disagreements are not worth to put energy
in for resolving. :-)

Cheers,
simon