guix-devel

Re: extend ’guix archive’?

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: extend ’guix archive’?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:50:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021, zimoun wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 at 23:07, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

Regarding nar-herder, I think it’d be nice to have a solution to
mirroring in Guix proper, developed similarly to other components,
because it could be a fairly central tool.

‘guix publish’ is probably not extensible enough to support that, but we
could make it a new ‘guix mirror’ or ‘guix sync’ or whatever command.

Why not extend “guix archive”?

Hi all,

I'm quite interested in learning more and potentially trying out the nar-herder! Some thoughts that I'd like to add to the design space:

I think it would be great if one of the pastures to which we herd the nars would be a free and open source software mirror site. In my experience, these are usually some static web hosting in front of a large disk with a place to run scripts to sync the content. A database server may not be available. I'd like to support this use case because I think it is a great way to build bridges to the communities who run or gather around these mirrors.

I'd also like the ability fetch nars directly from the local-to-me mirror rather than having them be proxied through a far way server.

One of the things that I really like and find empowering about Guix is that the developer/system administration tools are as available, easy to use, and convenient as the every day tooling. To the extent possible, I think that we should strive to make our syncing/mirroring solution practical to run for local, small setups, and not require project-scale infrastructure or coordination between many programs that are not captured in a Guix service.

Best,
Jack