guix-devel

Re: Merging the “binary” NPM importer?

From: pinoaffe
Subject: Re: Merging the “binary” NPM importer?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:57:15 +0200

Hi,

Philip McGrath writes:
> This did seem to happen with a large package I imported, but the
> multiple versions coexisting seemed to work ok.
Oh okay, it didn't really seem to work in my tree - yet another argument
for merging it, in order to unify it :)

> Ultimately, Guix will somehow need to deal with the messy versioning
> of the NPM world, and it would be nice to keep the duplication to a
> minimum, but that seems like it might be a challenge.
I think it would be great if at some point we could somehow encode
version constraints for dependencies in guix packages, as even if one
were to properly package a bunch of npm packages, figuring out whether
one can safely upgrade one of them without breaking any of the
dependents would be quite a hassle (or would need to involve running a
lot of builds to see whether they fail).

Kind regards,
pinoaffe