guix-devel

Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 13:59:07 -0400

Hi,

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
>
>> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:
>>
>>> Maxime Devos 写道:
>>>
>>> That's a very good idea if possible.
>>
>> I agree that this would be a fine solution.
>
> AFAIK the licensing problem is just for the kernel modules binaries
> (re)distribution, (obviously) not for the userspace binaries, so AFAIU
> this would be a fine solution.

Sorry, I spoke too soon above.  It seems that there is a problem with
including CDDL-licensed ZFS code on the userspace side.  'virt-manager'
is distributed under GPLv2+ and links with 'libvirt'.

> Meanwhile, what do you think about a temporary revert of commit
> 61ccd756e5ff73b2f8dc3449df537f1c5adb5872 to avoid causing GNOME users
> ZFS compilation upon update (if I correctly understand the issue)?

Agreed, both for the reason you mentioned and also to avoid violating
the GPL when we distribute 'virt-manager'.

      Thanks,
        Mark

--
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.