guix-devel

Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 12:21:03 +0200

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:
>
>> Maxime Devos 写道:
>>> Perhaps the "zfs" package can be split in an userspace package
>>> (containing userspace binaries and libraries) and a kernelspace
>>> component (containing the kernel module)? And let the kernelspace
>>> component be unsubstitutable and the userspace component
>>> substitutable?
>>
>> That's a very good idea if possible.
>
> I agree that this would be a fine solution.

AFAIK the licensing problem is just for the kernel modules binaries
(re)distribution, (obviously) not for the userspace binaries, so AFAIU
this would be a fine solution.

Meanwhile, what do you think about a temporary revert of commit
61ccd756e5ff73b2f8dc3449df537f1c5adb5872 to avoid causing GNOME users
ZFS compilation upon update (if I correctly understand the issue)?

Best regards, Giovanni.

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures