guix-devel

website: A little help running the website locally

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: website: A little help running the website locally
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 13:53:43 +0000

Hi,

I've never been able to build and run the internationalized website correctly
following the instructions on the README. I even thought there was a typo in
the instructions (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47623), but it seems there is
actually a particular problem on my side that I don't know how to resolve. So I
could use a little help.

The problem seems to be that the instructions on the README expect a
"$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale" directory to exist, but it doesn't exist here.
There is a "$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locales" directory instead (note the plural
name).

I've tried building and running the website using the "locales" directory to
work around the issue. It used to build most of the time, but with enconding
issues. Running the website almost always failed with some error about invalid
arguments to "setlocale"), so I used plane "haunt serve".

Currently, though, using guix 1f68568 and guix website f7ca68f, building fails
for me everytime I run this:

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
$ GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL=yes guix environment -C -m manifest.scm -E GUIX_LOCPATH
-E LANG --share=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locales -E GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL
--share=/tmp -- haunt build
guile: warning: failed to install locale
Backtrace:
           2 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/yzaxlqmiraznba4yf2cyqpyla9q?")
In haunt/ui.scm:
    131:2  1 (haunt-main _ "build")
In unknown file:
           0 (setlocale 6 "")

ERROR: In procedure setlocale:
In procedure setlocale: Invalid argument

So I haven't been able to work much on the website for a long time. I don't
know what's going on...

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/